Lesczynski Antoniny Manor Intervention: Elderly Healthcare and Residential Building

Na No Wo Architekci

Architects: NA NO WO architekci
Location: Lezno, Poland
Area: 8928 m2
Year: 2014-2015
Photography: Maciej Lulko

This project has involved the restoration and extension of three of the former farm buildings on the Leszczynski Antoniny manor*, and the construction of a new building. The aim was to convert it into a healthcare and residential building complex devoted to the elderly.

This building complex includes a rehabilitation centre, which provides care and medical services, and it is completed with a hotel and catering facilities, space for cultural events, underground car park and all the infrastructures needed. The entire complex has a total net area of 8,928 square metres and a volume of 29,315 cubic meters.

The major design challenge was to convert all the buildings included in the project into a coherent complex, and assigning each building all the necessary, diverse functions. Due to the structural system, the ceilings’ way of construction and the conditions of the existing 19th century stables and 20th century granary, they were not able to be directly adapted to their new functions, they were firstly subjected to restoration and extension.

Under the former stables building, we designed a cellar to house all the technical building services of the complex. This was quite challenging because the original construction had not had a basement at all. As a result, the entire underground floor has been built under the existing historical foundations. The ceiling above the last storey has been partially raised, topping the historic elevation with a band of illuminated windows for the hotel rooms. Differing levels of the flat roof act as a recreational terrace balustrade located on the historical building roof, which form, at the same time, a decorative pot. The terrace, a meeting point for the elderly, showcases a beautiful panorama of the city, a cosy cafe and a lawn bowling track, being these just a few of the many attractions addressed to residents and visitors. Located in this building, there are also: a restaurant with kitchen, a stage for special events organized for residents, a chapel providing pastoral care, hotel rooms and a conference room.

In turn, in the former granary building, we located a general hospital ward and hospital rooms devoted to people with Alzheimer, people mechanically ventilated, and people under cardiac and orthopaedic rehabilitation. Each of the wards have access to the day care open spaces and green terraces, to integrate and activate the elderly.

The newly designed residential building is surrounded by a recreational garden with a fountain. Seniors who stay in the residence have at their disposal fully equipped comfortable apartments with spacious balconies and loggias. On the top floor terrace, residents can take part in yoga classes and outdoor gymnastic activities. We have also placed the spacious underground garage in this building.

The whole building complex is complemented with a technical building.

All those buildings had a different character, composition, height and elevation materials in the past, which related to the time of their construction. To combine them together, we decided to introduce perforated Cor-Ten sheets to form balustrades, sunlight shades, information stands, fences and interior design elements. The rusty steel plate material symbolizes the transience and the inevitable passage of time. The dynamic cracks appearing on the facades refer to volatility and a number of turning points making up human life. Due to the cost optimization process, the Cor-Ten material was replaced by a rusty colour lacquered metal sheet.

The whole building complex is adapted to the needs of people with disabilities.

 


* The Leszczynski Antoniny manor complex consisted of a mansion of the late nineteenth century, farm buildings with two courtyards and a colony of farmhouses, two stables - one from approx. 1865 and the other from 1900-, a granary from 1865, and the cowshed from 1909.

Team:

Design Group/architects:
NA NO WO architekci: Rafał Tamowicz, Piotr Cugier
PIP STANDARD: Agnieszka Cugier

Associate Interior designer: VINCI DESIGN
Structural engineer: CADIN Grzegorz Dmochowski, Jakub Lekki